Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sleeping Bear Dunes

Looking at this picture you may think wow they are on a beautiful Caribbean beach somewhere. Well, that is not the case. We are up north at Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan. That's right only 3 hours from where we are living and it was breathtaking. I would recommend this to anyone. We went there for the night with the kids and camped out.




We camped in the campground there and the kids loved it. Owen was thrilled about all the dirt and rocks and Mari was excited about the tent and wearing her swim suit.

I turned around to find Owen chomping down on some charred wood from the previous camp fire. Awesome!

Mari's 2 favorite parts of the trip.---swim suit and tent


We took a hike around the dunes. Ran down them and then hiked back up them, (if only you could hear the ugh in my voice about the up part).

Then we came back for some dinner. We enjoyed some fruit and roasting hot dogs. The kids loved it and were starving. I'm pretty sure Owen ate his in about 30 seconds. For those of you that know me, I despise hot dogs and would never eat one no matter the environment. So I brought left over spaghetti and warmed it over the fire. That is a good camping food, right? It was yummy!

I have noticed that he eats like this a lot. It makes me wonder if he thinks this way no one will steal his food.

Of course we had smores and yes I had no problem having one of those.


Then it was bed time. Needless to say it was not easy getting these 2 to calm down from the excitement. Nor was it easy to wrangle tornado man with no crib.

After Mari fell asleep then I layed Owen down figuring not much of a nap he would surely doze off soon. Wrong!! He came out a few times saying HI, with that cute smile and voice, but he finally gave in. They both actually slept really well.

Good Morning!

I loved that grin she had the whole time. Ahh the memories.

As always waiting for some food.

The water was so clear and brisk, but we had to go swimming. It was very refreshing.

We thought about making it a 2 night trip but decided we should end on a good note and still wanting more. We are still talking about how we slept in a tent.

On the way there and home we took the scenic routes and I even got to stop and buy peaches from the side of the road. That topped it off for me and they are yummy. It was such a great getaway and probably one of my favorite parts of our summer here in Michigan.

No comments: